Ancient Eastern societies believed that each individual was the earthly manifestation of the God and Goddess. This belief held each individual responsible for their moral behavior to match that of the Gods. The Sanskrit word Namaste (na-ma-stay) exemplifies this concept. It is used as a greeting and means "the divine in me sees the divine in you." When we can overlook the little nuisances that bother us about our lovers, and hold our lover in a divine light, our relationships are much more fun and meaningful.
A deep sense of Spirit and Spirituality is easy to create, especially in our bedrooms. The bedroom helps set the mood when you awake in the morning, and it's your last sense of place at night when you go to sleep. Combining the Sensual with the Spiritual can birth a fresh essence in your relationship.
To help create your best "set and setting," design a space that is sensual, cozy, and restful. Your bedroom can be a sanctuary and a hide-a-way where you start and end your day. Throughout most high cultures of the past, the art of decoration and placement was an important aspect of how life was conducted.
- Use the principles of Feng Shui to help you. Defined as the "Chinese art and science of placement," it is used for arranging objects and the space in an environment to achieve the most harmonious balance of energy.
- Create a bedroom "temple" together. The environment in your bedroom might include extra pillows, statues, and draped scarves to remind and invite you to spend more time there. Lighting placed just right so that you can read, write, or make love - will draw the two of you to the space more often.
- Design an Altar with your partner. Please don't judge this as too "New Age" - it doesn't have to be like that. The idea is to have a special place where both of you feel you can put items found, collected, gifted, or purchased that have meaning for the both of you. Candles, a Tarot deck, a piece of jewelry, a baseball card, a rock from the seashore, a feather your partner found on a spirit walk in the forest, all of these things are spiritual and reminders to you of the preciousness of life together.
- Little rituals help us feel gratitude for our partner and our life. When you put the things on your altar, say something about why they are important to you and imbue them with an essential oil. Anoint your lover with the oil at their heart center and say three things that you appreciate about them every time you make love. Or, create a simple ritual of your own.
- Use color to enhance sensual spirit in your bedroom. You can create a dramatic room by simply draping a red scarf over the lamp next to your bed; but remember to put it over a safe shade that will keep it from coming in contact with the bulb. Put a few drops of an essential oil on the scarf for an even more dramatic affect.
- Use music to set a soft, spiritual mood. Make sure that you know the kinds of music that sends "shivers" up the spine of your lover. If you like different types of music take turns creating a mix of both kinds in any lovemaking evening, so you will both feel turned-on and connected.
- Bathe each other with loving presence. The highest offering Jesus' disciples could give him was to bathe his feet. Do this for your partner with focused attention. Afterwards massage their feet with aromatic oil.
- Before you begin making love, sit on the bed, facing each other and eye gaze and breathe deeply into your abdomen together. Eye gazing is easy - simply soften your eyes and look at your partner's eyes without "doing anything." After a minute or two place your right hand between their breasts and put your left hand over their hand on your chest. Hold this way as you take a few more minutes to breathe and look into each other's eyes.
- When you are experiencing an orgasm, see if you can remember to say a prayer of thanks to the universe for the abundance that you have. When you join the physical with the meta-physical, the two fuse and become one. Both realms will seem more expansive if you can.
Stay intuitive about what would make you and your partner feel more deeply connected both in the sensual/sexual plane and in the spiritual realms. Talk about what spirit means to you and have your partner do the same. When you begin to do some of these little things you will feel more connected to each other and to spirit. It's been too long since humans have tried to separate the sensual from the spiritual.